Wednesday 24 April 2013

SOLD TO BUYER NUMBER ___!!!!!

Spring is finally here!!!  And with spring comes farm auctions.  I am so excited, I am going to my first farm auction for this year, this Friday.  Last year's farm auctions were a huge success for my picking.  Not to mention, for my love of homemade pumpkin pie.  Auctions and pie go hand in hand, right? 

My love for farm auctions started as a child, when I spent a lot of time with my dad at farm auctions.  Farm auctions are a great place to renew friendships and visit with members of the community.  It can be a sad or melancholy time that marks the end of and era, dream or life. 

Did you know the word "auction" is derived from the Latin and means "I increase" or "I augment".
For most of history, auctions have been a relatively uncommon way to negotiate the exchange of goods and commodities, and before the seventeenth century the few auctions that were held were sporadic and infrequent. 

My day at the auction usually begins when I receive my bidding number.  Then I go and seek out the hidden treasures, sometimes hiding under a pile of dust, or in a box with other junk.  (Did I mention yet that my pulse has increased by this time?)  I usually run into a couple of neighbors that I haven't seen all winter, and catch up.  I always chuckle watching the auctioneer, and his helpers collecting bids.  I get so excited when I start bidding, hoping the other bidder will drop out.  Now all this usually builds a hunger in the pit of my stomach, only a piece of pumpkin pie can fill.  I also have to mention the looks that I get from my husband, as I buy my treasures.  By the end of the day, I have a truck load of treasures, a smile on my face, a stomach full of pie, and yes a very patient husband.  To me this is living!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment